Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Jesus's Message of Baptism. Do I Need to be Baptized?

The Savior is recorded as saying the words "Come" "
Follow Me" and "I am the Way" many times in the gospels.

Come: move or travel toward or into a place thought of as near or familiar to the speaker.
Follow: to come after a person or thing proceeding ahead.
Way: A method, style or manner of doing something.

Jesus wanted  us to do the things that he did, be what he was and proceed in the style and manner that he proceeding in.

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Jesus spoke of Himself as being the "Way" in which to "Come" unto the Father, and his Father - God.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus is saying, again, follow me and do the things that you see me do if you want to get back to your Father and my Father.

John 6:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

The essence of Jesus's message to us, if it were to be distilled down to it's simplest form is this:  Follow Him,

John:17: 20 -23 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;  That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Our Heavenly Father's love for us is immense. God loved us so much that he sent his Son (John 4:9-10)  And his request of us, is that we simply follow Him  What should we do to follow?  On the day of Pentecost, those who had felt the spirit of truth wanted also to know exactly this same thing, what do we do next?  Peter explains very explicitly the path or the way they are to follow;

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus was Baptized, (Matthew 3:13-17 )  Mathew 3:16 Jesus was baptized by immersion.
 It pleased the Father that Jesus showed this example  Jesus did this so that we would know what we are to do. Jesus was perfect, yet he was baptized. We need to be baptized of the water and of the spirit.  We are to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost following Baptism. Peter had that authority or those keys given him, of the Son, to Baptize. As did John at the time of Jesus, in fact it was John who baptized our Savior, Jesus the Christ. recognized John, and praised him, saying that there was not any greater other than Jesus Himself -.

Being Baptized by immersion by one holding the proper authority was the way Jesus did it, and we are to follow.

Baptism is necessary to enter into the kingdom of God. The gate is narrow and the way is straight and not many will find it. (Matthew 7:13 -29)   It is important, to be baptized but also to be baptized by one holding the authority of a true priesthood.
"It was to the bank of this river (the Susquehanna, in Missouri) that the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery went on May 15, 1829, to pray about the importance of baptism. In answer to their prayer, John the Baptist appeared to them, conferring the Aaronic Priesthood, the type of Priesthood held of John the Baptist, on them and commanding them to baptize each other. "
(Teachings of the Presidents of the Church, Joseph Smith, Chapter 7)

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is has this priesthood authoirty to baptise.  Click Here.  If you would like to speak with missionaries in person about this and other truths .
 My daughter is on a mission helping people to recognize the need for baptism by immersion by one holding the keys and Jesus's authority. She is very happy to explain to people about The Church of Jesus Christ and about the keys for the authority to be baptized. Missionaries volunteer their time to speak with people and show them the "way" of  the gospel. it is free and it is easy.  I know that Jesus will bless your life as you ,,,
Take the time to listen, and "Come and Follow Jesus's Way.  
Missionaries can help you learn what the first steps to Baptism are.  
Ask the Missionaries They Can Help YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment